Friday, August 1, 2014

July Wrap-Up


So I had a really fantastic reading month in July.  I read 16 books! So we're just going to get started with the books.

Son of Neptune by Rick Riordan

As usual, it was a good book.  I don't think I could ever dislike a Rick Riordan book.  However this one was probably my least favorite.  I love Percy, but I didn't really enjoy Percy without his memory, and it also lacked a sense of urgency. Usually Rick Riordan's book have this sense of urgency, and the characters rush so the plot goes quickly.  However this one didn't have that so the plot just felt really slow, but I'm still looking forward to the rest of he series.

My Rating



Catch a Falling Star by Kim Culbertson

This was a cute story, but it wasn't a very original. Movie star with a bad reputation comes to small town, and the movie star's manager pays a small town girl to pretend to be his girlfriend to boost his image.  The book itself was good.  It was a nice quick read, but there wasn't much that was original.  The story line with her brother I found to be really interesting, and I wish there was more to do with that in the plot throughout the story.  If you're looking for a light, fun read I would definitely suggest this.


My Rating


Easy by Tammara Webber

This is my least favorite book I have read so far throughout the year.  I know a lot of people really love this book, but going into it I didn't know what it was about, and I am not a fan of books with sexual assault as the main plot point.  However that wasn't my only reason I disliked it.  I didn't like almost all of the characters.  I felt like the plot was unfocused and that there were to many subplots that didn't make sense with the main plot.  I could go on and on with why I didn't like it, but I don't feel like continuing on.  Just know that I personally didn't like it.

My Rating



The Unbound by Victoria Schwab

I adored this book.  I love Victoria Schwab's writing style.  It was such an exciting thrill ride.  I didn't realize how much I missed these characters until I started reading this.  I loved the way the plot went in this book, and I'm really hoping that there is a third book.  So if you haven't already I would suggest picking up The Archived so you can read The Unbound as well.

My Rating


Of Poseidon by Anna Banks

This was a book that Ariel Bisset picked out for me, and I was so excited to read it because I trust her opinions, and she did not let me down.  This was my first "mermaid" book, and I really enjoyed it.  I loved the characters and the twists and turns.  There were many times where I didn't see the plot twist coming.  The ending was just such a shock, and I feel like I should have seen it coming, but I didn't and it made me want to pick up the next two books! I am so excited to continue on with the series.

My Rating


The Geek's Guide to Dating by Eric Smith

I received a copy of this from Quirk Books, and I'm so glad I did because it was adorable.  I did a full review on this blog.  All you need to know is that it is cuteness and adorableness and nerdiness.  If you consider yourself a nerd or a geek, pick it up! I'm sure you will find yourself chuckling while you read it.

My Rating

Rush by Eve Silver

I really liked Rush. My biggest problem was that I wasn't in the mood for a sci-fi book.  I think I would have enjoyed it more if I was in the mood for it.  I found it difficult to get into for me, but I enjoyed it a lot.  There was a lot of world building so I think that's also why it took me a while to get into it.  Originally it was going to be a 4 star book, but that ending made me bump it up a little.  I can't wait to read the sequel.  I just want to know what happens!

My Rating



Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling

Do I need to write my feelings on it? It's Harry Potter and I am a huge potterhead.

My Rating

Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare

It took me forever to get into this book, but once I did I loved it.  I unlike everyone else did not love Will Herondale, but I liked all of the characters.  I also didn't see a lot of the twists and turns coming.  I really enjoyed the plot.

My Rating


Clockwork Prince

Just like Clockwork Angel, I really enjoyed this one.  Cassandra Clare does some of the best plot twists.  Almost all of the twists, I didn't see coming.  Overall it was a very good book.

My Rating

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

Once again, it's Harry Potter, do I need to explain why I loved it?

My Rating

Clockwork Princess by Cassandra Clare

This was an excellent conclusion to the trilogy.  It gave me all of the feels.  It was so action packed and sad and just so good.  Words really can't describe my feelings for it.

My Rating


Landline by Rainbow Rowell

I loved this book so much.  I love every book Rainbow Rowell has ever written.  I think she really likes great and complex characters that are really easy to relate too.  All of Rainbow Rowell's books feel so different from one another.  This was one of the books that I was highly anticipating, and I won it in a giveaway.  Needless to say I dove right into this book and absolutely adored it.

My Rating


To All the Boys I've Loved Before by Jenny Han

This was super cute.  I really liked the story.  Some of the twists and turns were predictable, but that didn't take away from the story for me.  I really did not like Margot's character, but other than that I like the story. I thought the characters were easy to relate to.  It was a quick read that I just flew through, and I can't wait to read the second book in the duology!

My Rating


The Elite by Kiera Cass

I read The Selection sometime in June, and I really enjoyed it.  Did I think it was this amazing literary work? No, but it was an enjoyable story though.  I wanted to know what was going to happen with America, and I just wanted to see what was going to happen.  I felt like this story was more developed, and I enjoyed it more than The Selection.  The only thing that really bothers me about this whole thing is Aspen. I really don't like him as a character

My Rating


Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell

I adored this book.  I loved both Eleanor and Park as characters, and I felt like the plot was really realistic.  I just loved this book, and I am hoping we get to find out more about where Eleanor and Park ended up.  I thought the ending was great.  While it left you completely dumbfounded, I felt that was a good ending because it left it open for more, but you still knew that it wasn't over.  I really loved this book, and can't wait to reread it.

My Rating

No comments:

Post a Comment