Friday, July 4, 2014

June Wrap-Up and July TBR

So I normally don't do TBRs, but I have a few books that I am definitely reading this month, and I kind of have a plan so we're going to see how it goes.

So we're going to start with the books that I read in June.

June Wrap-Up

The Summer I Turned Pretty Trilogy by Jenny Han
I read this whole trilogy in the month of June. I enjoyed the trilogy for the most part.  I felt that it was good, but it wasn't a literary master piece or anything like that.  I enjoyed the first book, The Summer I Turned Pretty, but my favorite was the second book, It's Not Summer Without You. I read it within a day, and that one was easily my favorite.  However We'll Always Have Summer Without You was my least favorite.  While I wanted more time with these characters, I felt that the plot was kind of forced and that's not the direction I would have taken the story.  All in all the series is a quick easy summer read and I would suggest it.


My Rating

Since You've Been Gone by Morgan Matson
 I got this book while I was in New York for BookCon.  I got an ebook copy, and it was one of the first books I read when I got back from New York, and I absolutely adored this.  Not only is Morgan Matson one of the nicest people I have ever had the pleasure to meet, but she is also a fantastic writer.  I thought this was a very unique book, and I really liked most of the characters.  I thought the romance was thoughtfully done, and didn't feel very forced.  I really enjoyed this book.  It was a fantastic summer read, and I would pretty much suggest any Morgan Matson book if you're looking for a light fun summer read
.

My Rating

The Future of Us by Jay Asher and Carolyn Mackler
This book was the biggest surprise of the month.  I went into this expecting to think it was going to be good.  I thought the premise was really cool.  Teens in the 90's can see Facebook twenty years in the future.  The surprising part was how much I loved it.  I expected it to be good, but it was great.  I really enjoyed it.  I flew through it.  The characters were annoying at times, but they were somewhat realistic teenagers with realistic teen angst.  It's not necessarily a time travel novel, but it does show you how little decisions can affect you in a big way, and I thought it was very interesting.  It made me think quite a bit which I enjoyed








My Rating


The Secret Diary of Lizzie Bennet by Bernie Su and Kate Rorick
This was also a book I received while I was in New York for BookCon, and this was a complete surprise.  I didn't know it was going to be there, and neither did anyone I was hanging out with.  I absolutely adore the Lizzie Bennet Diaries, and have watched them at least two times all of the way through.  So if you are a fan of the Lizzie Bennet Diaries I would definitely suggest it.  Also if you like Pride and Prejudice retellings.  However if you have not watched the Lizzie Bennet Diaries all of the way through, I would suggest watching them first and then reading the book.  Yes that is contrary to what one would normally suggest, but the book is like an unfiltered version of the web series, and I think it is more beneficial to read the book afterwards.  While this follows the exact story of the web series, there are still details that are added that make the story a worth while read.





My Rating

We Were Liars by E. Lockhart
This was also a book I wasn't expecting to like.  I generally don't like books that are very suspenseful.  I ended up liking this quite a lot.  I did not like the characters very much.  I thought that many of them were selfish and in all honesty I just wanted to punch them half of the time, but the fact that this family is so dysfunctional is what makes the plot function.  So it was tolerable, but still annoying.  When reading this, I did not see the ending coming, and when I got there I was in complete shock and awe.  I felt that it was a very good book.  E. Lockhart's writing is beautiful, and there are many times where your left wondering if it actually happened or if it was a metaphor.  All in all it was a pretty good book, and it is rather short so it is quite a quick read.






My Rating
The Selection by Kiera Cass
I won't go into much detail on my thoughts on this book because their is a full review on this blog.  However I did really enjoy it. I really liked most of the characters, and I can't wait to read the other books in the series.














My Rating

            

The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin
Much like with We Were Liars, I was not sure that I would like this book very much because I am not a fan of thriller books.  I thought this was really interesting, but I found it slightly more creepy because very often you don't know if Mara is sane or not.  It just made me feel very uneasy. My favorite part was Noah Shaw.  He may be one of my favorite male characters that I have read in a while.  I found their relationship to be really interesting to read about.  I appreciated all of the twists and turns that this book turn.  This is a series I will continue eventually, but it is not a high priority for me to read. I would still recommend it, it just wasn't my favorite genre to read.








My Rating

The Lost Hero by Rick Riordan
As with every Rick Riordan book, it was fantastic.  It was a great story, and I really enjoyed Leo, Piper, and Jason's points of view.  I felt that this story had enough twists and turns to keep me excited for the entire 500 pages, which is rare because I am not a fan of books over 500 pages.  This is the first book in the series that is the spin-off of the Percy Jackson series, and in my opinion it was a great start, and I am excite to see how the rest of the series goes.











My Rating




Side Effects May Vary by Julie Murphy
I have recently done a full review on this so once again I won't go into much detail.  However I really enjoyed this book.  For a "cancer book", it was not sad at all so if you are looking for a contemporary that isn't focused on the romance (but still has a romance), then I would really suggest this one.














My Rating


Now onto my July TBR, these are all books I am hoping to read in the next month, but very few of these are books that I am definitely going to read.

Son of Neptune by Rick Riordan
This was actually the first book I finished in July so this is definitely a part of my July TBR. :)












'


The Elite by Kiera Cass
I am really hoping to get to read The Elite. I have been the next person on the wait list for over a week now.  So I am hoping to get it soon! If I do, it will definitely the book I pick up next.














The Unbound by Victoria Schwab
I am trying to take part in the Summer Unbound read along since most of my friends on booktube are hosting it.  However while I am really excited to read it, I haven't been in the mood for it lately so I am hoping to pick it up soon













Mark of Athena by Rick Riordan
I have recently finished Son of Neptune, so I would like to finish all of the books that I own.  I will hopefully get House of Hades soon. If not I will almost definitely get it in August.














Those are not all of the books I plan on reading in July, but these are just a few of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment