Thursday, June 26, 2014

Favorite Summer Reads So Far

So for me, summer started at the beginning of May.  My classes ended during the first week of may so we're going to talk about my favorite books so far this summer.

Now most of my favorite books so far this summer have been contemporaries because I have been in a super big contemporary mood this summer!

The first one I recommend is My Life Next Door by Huntley Fitzpatrick.
 The Goodreads Synopsis:
"One thing my mother never knew, and would disapprove of most of all, was that I watched the Garretts. All the time."

The Garretts are everything the Reeds are not. Loud, messy, affectionate. And every day from her rooftop perch, Samantha Reed wishes she was one of them . . . until one summer evening, Jase Garrett climbs up next to her and changes everything.

As the two fall fiercely for each other, stumbling through the awkwardness and awesomeness of first love, Jase's family embraces Samantha - even as she keeps him a secret from her own. Then something unthinkable happens, and the bottom drops out of Samantha's world. She's suddenly faced with an impossible decision. Which perfect family will save her? Or is it time she saved herself?

My Thoughts:
I read this during Bout of Books 10.0.  It is rather long for a contemporary at almost 400 pages, and I read it in a little over a day  So I would definitely suggest it.  It's a very realistic family dynamic which was a pleasure to read.  There was also a nice plot twist that I really enjoyed.  The plot was a very nice romance.  While it is mostly about the relationship, there was a lot about family throughout the book.

The next book I recommend is This Is What Happy Looks Like by Jennifer E. Smith.  If you are looking for something super adorable. You need to read this!

The Goodreads Synopsis:
If fate sent you an email, would you answer?

When teenage movie star Graham Larkin accidentally sends small town girl Ellie O'Neill an email about his pet pig, the two seventeen-year-olds strike up a witty and unforgettable correspondence, discussing everything under the sun, except for their names or backgrounds. 

Then Graham finds out that Ellie's Maine hometown is the perfect location for his latest film, and he decides to take their relationship from online to in-person. But can a star as famous as Graham really start a relationship with an ordinary girl like Ellie? And why does Ellie want to avoid the media's spotlight at all costs?

My Thoughts:
This is another long contemporary at over 400 pages, and once again I flew through this.  This is the definition of cute fluffy romance like if cute fluffy romance was in the dictionary the cover of This Is What Happy Looks Like would be the picture.  I really enjoyed it. I personally would recommend all of her books, but this is the one I read this summer.  I really enjoyed the email aspect as well. I love books with email in them.

 The last book I will recommend to you that I have read so far this summer was Since You've Been Gone by Morgan Matson.  This was not only a nice romance, but there was a lot of character growth

The Goodreads Synopsis:
Before Sloane, Emily didn't go to parties, she barely talked to guys, and she didn't do anything crazy. Enter Sloane, social tornado and the best kind of best friend—someone who yanks you out of your shell.

But right before what should have been an epic summer, Sloane just…disappears. No note. No calls. No texts. No Sloane. There’s just a random to-do list with thirteen bizarre tasks that Emily would never try. But what if they can lead her to Sloane?

Apple picking at night? Okay, easy enough.

Dance until dawn? Sure. Why not?

Kiss a stranger? Wait…what?

Getting through Sloane’s list will mean a lot of firsts, and with a whole summer ahead of her—and with the unexpected help of the handsome Frank Porter—who knows what she’ll find.

Go Skinny Dipping? Um…

My Thoughts:
Once again this was a long book at almost 450 pages, and I felt like I flew through it.  The only thing I didn't like about this book was that I was reading it on a tablet.  I got an ebook copy of it while I was at BookCon and it was one of the first books i read when I got home.  It was such a unique story, and I would definitely recommend it if you love contemporary, but want something a little different.  Emily throughout the story is trying to find herself and through that a romance develops, not the other way around.

No comments:

Post a Comment